2023 Infrastructure Improvements Project
During the 2023 construction season, a project including stormwater system upgrades, water main replacement, and road repairs will take place on E. Summit between N. Milford Road and First Street and on Union Street between E. Summit and Detroit St.
A preconstruction meeting for residents adjacent tot he construction area was held on Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. This meeting is intended to provide a general overview of the project and offer an opportunity for residents to ask questions about the project. A recording of the meeting is available below.
Road Millage Projects
In 2012, voters in the Village approved a 20-year dedicated millage for road repairs and maintenance with a levy of 3.5 mills for the first 10 years and a levy of 1.0 mill for the final 10 years. The levy began with the 2013-2014 fiscal year.
In 2018, voters approved changes to the road millage to lower the millage amount to 2.9000 mills, but to extend the full millage through 2032. At the time, this change was estimated to generate an additional $4.3 million for local road projects over the full term. The revised millage allowed the Village to issue $2.5 million in bonds in 2019, which allowed for the paving of Peters Rd. and other projects in 2019, 2020, and 2021.
In fiscal year 2021-2022, the road millage rate will be 2.7707 mills and is expected to generate $790,000 in revenues. Approximately $300,000 of that amount will be applied to paying the principal and interest on the 2019 road bonds.
Projects completed to date using funds from the Road Millage include the following:
- Annually spending $25,000-50,000+ for preventative maintenance (crack-sealing, spot replacements of asphalt & concrete, etc.)
- 2013 – Canal (Crystal – First), Fairview Hills Subdivision ($522,561, balance applied toward Commerce Rd.)
- 2014 – Knight, Duke, Friar ($318,307, balance applied toward Commerce Rd.)
- 2015 – Canal (Main – First) & Huron Bridge ($713,272, balance applied toward Commerce Rd.)
- 2016 – Commerce Rd. ($2,619,973)
- 2018 – Heritage Hills/Winding Way ($492,343)
- 2019 - resurfacing of S. Milford Rd. from Village limits to General Motors Rd. (partially funded with Federal Road Funds); Preservation Overlay Project on N. Milford Rd. from Concrete Dr. to Village limits (partnership with Road Commission for Oakalnd County); resurfacing of Hickory St. between Commerce and George; resurfacing of N. Main St. between Summit and George; resurfacing of E. Commerce between Friar and the Village limits; asphalt and concrete repairs; and crack-sealing throughout the Village
- 2020 - Paving of Peters Rd. from just north of the bridge to Commerce Rd.
- 2021 - E. Huron St., Water, & Stormwater repairs & replacement; asphalt and concrete repairs; Preservation Overlay Project on W. Commerce Rd. between Oak St. and the Village limits (partnership with the Road Commission for Oakland County); and crack-sealing throughout the Village
- 2022 - Completion of E. Huron St. road project; Mill & overlay and preservation overlay projects in the Milford Bluffs & Milford Heights neighborhoods; repair of culvert and pedestrian access improvements and realignment/repaving of Commerce Rd. near the railroad bridge.
- 2023 (APPROVED - start date pending) - Summit St. between First & Union; Union St. between Detroit & Summit; Road resurfacing, water main replacement, and installation of new stormwater management. Additional spot repairs to concrete and asphalt roads throughout the Village.
Report a Pothole
To report a pothole, please complete an online pothole report or call (248) 685-3055, with a detailed description of the location (nearest intersection, which lane, etc.) and your contact information. Reported potholes will generally be repaired within 48-72 hours.