slider wave

Sewer Backup/Claims

If you are experiencing a sewer backup in your home or business, please call the Village of Milford at (248) 684-1515.  Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. on Friday.  If the office is closed, please call the Police Department at (248) 684-1815.

On January 2, 2002 Public Act 222 of the Public Acts of 2001 became effective.  PA 222 provides that, under certain circumstances, governmental agencies that own or operate sewage disposal systems may be held liable for the overflow or backup of the system. 

To pursue a claim against a governmental agency for personal injury or property damage resulting from a sewer backup, the claimant must file a written notice of the claim to the governmental agency within 45 days of the date that the damage or physical injury was discovered, or should have been discovered.  If written notice is not provided within 45 days, a claimant will not be able to pursue a claim for the injuries and/or damages.  The written notice must include the claimant's name, address, and phone number, the address of the affected property, the date of discovery of the injury or damage, and a brief description of the claim.

If a Village resident has had a sewer backup which involves a sewage system owned and operated by the Village of Milford, written notice of the claim must be provided within 45 days to the Village of Milford, 1100 Atlantic Street, Milford, MI 48381.

Ways to Prevent Sewer Backups