On August 4, 2018, the State of Michigan Department of Health and Human Services issued a "do not eat" advisory for fish in the Huron River due to the detection of a class of substances known as PFAS (perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances). This advisory was updated on August 24, 2018 and again on August 31, 2018. A subsequent advisory was issued on September 18, 2018 regarding PFAS related foam in the Huron River.
For more information, please visit the Michigan PFAS Action Response Team website.
Water System Testing
As part of the State of Michigan's PFAS response, the Village drinking water supply was tested by the State on June 14, 2018. This test, and others conducted by the Village on the same date indicated a result of "non detect", meaning that no PFAS related substances were found in the Village of Milford public drinking water system. While the State has not yet issued any requirements for further testing, the Village will continue to conduct tests on its own as a precautionary measure.
|Date of PFAS Drinking Water Test||Test Results|
|June 14, 2018||Non-detect|
|September 26, 2018||Non-detect|
|December 19, 2018||Non-detect|
|March 16, 2019||Non-detect|
|April 10, 2019||Non-detect|
The April 10, 2019 testing consisted of a total of 4 samples, including 2 samples which were taken and tested by the State of Michigan.
Drinking Water Resources:
- State of Michigan Drinking Water PFAS Testing Results (searchable database)
- Private Well Testing Information
- Village of Milford Annual Drinking Water Quality Report (note: this report is published in April of the year following the data collection)
Public Presentations & Additional Resources:
- Michigan PFAS Action Response Team
- Oakland County Health Department PFAS Resources
- December 2018 MPART Update on Huron River
- October 4, 2018 Public Information Session Video (approx. 2 hours in length)
- October 4, 2018 Public Information Presentation (slides only)
- September 20, 2018 State of Michigan Presentation on PFAS & the Huron River (slides only)
- September 26, 2018 article by The Bridge "Michigan PFAS by the numbers: How much is unsafe?"