If you encounter a sidewalk which is not in compliance with the requirements below, please take a moment to complete the Report a Sidewalk Issue online form.
The Village Code of Ordinances, Chapter 70, Article III, Sec 70-62 Sidewalk Maintenance governs the repair and maintenance of sidewalks within the Village.
(a) Determination of hazardous condition - The building official, or his designee, or the director of public services, shall determine a sidewalk hazard exists when one or more of the following conditions exist:
- Vertical cracks, upheaval or settlement greater than one inch.
- Horizontal cracks or joint separation greater than one inch.
- Tilted sections, if tilted greater than two inches in any direction of a five-foot by five-foot section.
- Spalled or pitted sections of greater than 25 percent of the surface or holes that are greater than three-inch diameter.
(c) Methods for serving notice - Notice regarding sidewalk repairs shall be served in the following manner:
- By delivering the notice to the owner personally or by leaving such notice at the owner's residence, office, or place of business with some person of suitable age and discretion.
- By mailing the notice by certified or registered mail to such owner at his last known address.
- If the owner is unknown, by posting the notice in some conspicuous place on the premises at least 15 days before the required work shall be completed. No person shall interfere with, obstruct, mutilate, conceal or tear down any official notice or placard posted by any village official, unless permission is given by such official to remove the notice.
It is the property owner's responsibility to keep sidewalks clear of snow, ice, earth, and other substances. Failure to remove such substances will result in a citation. The Village will also have the condition abated and charge the property owner for all costs.