On August 4, 2018, the State of Michigan Department of Health and Human Services issued a "do not eat" advisory for fish in the Huron River due to the detection of a class of substances known as PFAS (perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances). This advisory was updated on August 24, 2018 and again on August 31, 2018. A subsequent advisory was issued on September 18, 2018 regarding PFAS related foam in the Huron River.
For more information, please visit the Michigan PFAS Action Response Team website.
The most up to date information can be found on the State of Michigan's Huron River Watershed PFAS page.
Water System Testing
As part of the State of Michigan's PFAS response, the Village drinking water supply was tested by the State on June 14, 2018. This test, and others conducted by the Village on the same date indicated a result of "non detect", meaning that no PFAS related substances were found in the Village of Milford public drinking water system. While the State has not yet issued any requirements for further testing, the Village will continue to conduct tests on its own as a precautionary measure.
Starting in June 2018, the Village began voluntarily testing the drinking water supply on a quarterly basis for PFAS. To date, all of these tests have returned results of "non-detect" for the Village's drinking water.
Testing which took place on April 10, 2019 consisted of a total of 4 samples, including 2 samples which were taken and tested by the State of Michigan. All 4 of these samples returned results of "non-detect" for PFAS.
Drinking Water Resources:
- State of Michigan Drinking Water PFAS Testing Results (searchable database)
- Private Well Testing Information
- Village of Milford Annual Drinking Water Quality Report (note: this report is published in April of the year following the data collection)
Public Presentations & Additional Resources:
- Oakland County Health Department PFAS Resources
- September 2020 MPART Update on Huron River
- May 2019 MPART Update on the Huron River
- December 2018 MPART Update on Huron River
- October 4, 2018 Public Information Session Video (Available below, approx. 2 hours in length)
- October 4, 2018 Public Information Presentation (slides only)
- September 20, 2018 State of Michigan Presentation on PFAS & the Huron River (slides only)
- September 26, 2018 article by The Bridge "Michigan PFAS by the numbers: How much is unsafe?"